Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Down the lane

Year 2086

My grandson was in his toes when he saw the bold headlines in “The General Express”......

“YERJUNE SING JUNIOR INTRODUCES RESERVATION FOR GENERAL CATEGORY –BROUHAHA IN PARLIMENT”

Backward Delhi.27th May... The union HRD minister has introduced reservation for the general category segments of the society considering the widespread protest that has been going rounds in the past 80 years. It implies realizing the dreams of millions of “general” class people. At the press conference the spokesman..........................”

This means he has a fighting chance to do his graduation in a “not-so-bad” college. He had lost all hope of getting into a decent college since he dint come under a privileged class which ironically calls themselves “backward”. But this should be enough to kindle his spirits. Meanwhile I turn on the television to hear the latest on the news which was so close to our hearts some years back. But I am broken when I see the opposition leader opposing any reservations for the mainstream society. After all in his words it’s tantamount to “suppressing the opportunities for the so called backward class”. Any flicker of hope my grandson entertained was immediately shattered when he saw that it will be just another political gimmick.

Meanwhile my so called backward neighbour who apparently is a doc (thanx to the 85% reservations that our government blessed on them) stares at me with a wry smile. He is obviously disgruntled at me since I had been craving to get a chunk of the reservations. My daughter comes from office early and she doesn’t look quite happy. She wont be retiring as a headmistress .Her turn will come next decade since as per the rules priority is given to “the under privileged backward class”.

My pensions hardly meet my medical expenses and I wail deep inside at my helplessness. It shouldn’t have been like this...............The rich business man who stayed near my home is still rich. He doesn’t spare a second glance at the headlines. His son is brandishing his gleaming Porsche in some “Wales university” ignorant of hard truths back home. For him “reservations” aren’t an issue worth discussing over a cup of coffee.
Meanwhile I see a gloom descent in my grandson’s eyes......My daughter is shattered, for her years of hard work goes unrecognized...Which category do we come in...Are we just dispensable guinea pigs for political big shots to experiment with...

I look back to those years... When I saw those reservation laws being passed....When our pleas fell on deaf ears....When I watched those lathicharges on television.... When we kept on electing those morons.....

Why if could have stopped that happening..............


This piece of news is so ironical now..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a loosing battle..

Mind Curry said...

couldnt agree more!

mathew said...

@cj

guess so..nothin is workin out